Job Posting: Coordinator, The City Institute at York University (CITY)
Deadline: February 3rd, 2017
The Coordinator will be responsible for providing administrative support to the City Institute at York University (CITY) and CITY’s research projects.
Established in 2006, the City Institute brings together the university’s urban scholars conducting both applied and theoretical research across a broad range of fields and throughout each of its Faculties. For information about CITY, see www.yorku.ca/city.
This is a part-time, contract position from March 1st, 2017 to February 28th, 2018. Hours of Work: 23 hours per week
Hourly Rate of Pay: $22.33 an hour
Major Areas of Responsibility
A. Event Planning – 40%
• Assists with the coordination and logistics of CITY’s conferences, workshops, seminar series, meetings and other events, ensuring that appropriate arrangements are made including correspondence with the presenters, room bookings, catering, booking accommodation, audio visual equipment and travel, etc.
• Assists with the preparation and distribution of event materials such as posters, programs and handouts.
• Assists with managing conference and other event financing, including the receiving and depositing of payments and payment of event expenses.
• Under the guidance of the Director or Principal Investigator, provides support in preparing research project and conference funding proposals, such as preparing budgets, compiling CVs, reviewing granting agency guidelines, corresponding with researchers, copy editing applications etc.
B. Financial administration – 30%
• Monitors budget expenditures on CITY’s operating and research project accounts, as well as monthly expense reconciliation for CITY cost centres by checking and identifying discrepancies, and creating journal entries, as appropriate.
• Prepares financial forms including purchase orders, accountable advances, cheque requisitions, reimbursement of expenses via online systems such as Concur, wire transfers, payroll time sheets. Maintains filing system for all paperwork, ensuring all original invoices and receipts, copies of forms and timesheets are filed and kept for the required time period and then are properly disposed of.
• Liaises with York’s Finance Department, Research Accounting, Payroll and external funding/accounting departments.
• Reviews and ensures that budget submissions conform to specific guidelines and requirements of York and external funding agencies.
• Assists with the preparation of budgets and compiles data for forecasts in accordance with specific guidelines and requirements of York and external funding agencies.
• Under the guidance of the Principal Investigator (PI), drafts interim and final financial reports on research projects.
C. Office administration – 25%
• Prepares payroll forms including non-resident payment forms, honorariums and payroll timesheets, in accordance to the details provided by the Director or the Principal Investigator of a CITY based research project.
• Liaises with staff in departments or faculties to set up payroll for students on CITY based projects.
• Assists with managing the Institute’s communication strategy including updating and maintaining CITY’s website and overseeing CITY listservs.
• Assists with informational requests from affiliated faculty members, staff, and students including maintaining up-date membership information, researching information, resources, and contacts to support affiliated activities.
• Schedules meetings, takes notes and prepares/distributes minutes for City Institute or research project meetings.
• Assists the Director in the preparation of the CITY Annual Report by gathering information, drafting narrative report sections and preparing the financial data for the report.
• Under the guidance of the Director, oversees the work of graduate assistants, casual staff or undergraduate interns at CITY.
• Arranges for technical support for members in residence at the City Institute including calls for maintenance of the office equipment; orders office supplies, paper and printer toner cartridges, as needed.
• Makes arrangements for CITY’s visiting scholars including setting up computer accounts, preparing letters to grant access to York’s libraries and arranging for swipe cards/keys.
• Coordinates the allocation of office space and student cubicle space at CITY.
• Manages regular and ongoing coordination between administrative offices.
D. Other responsibilities as assigned – 5%
• Under the guidance of CITY's Director, the Coordinator will assist with overseeing the work of 1-2 students (e.g. undergraduate student interns or graduate assistants). Tasks would include giving direction or instructions, arranging work schedules, coordinating work flows at CITY, reviewing completed work and training the students on new administrative tasks.
Job Qualification and Related Skill Requirements:
Minimum of two years of post-secondary education related to Business administration, Environmental Studies, Urban Studies, Urban Planning or Geography would be an asset or equivalent work experience.
Minimum of two years of recent related administrative experience including maintaining and reconciling budgets and event coordination in an educational or non-profit environment preferred.
Required Technical Skills
• Experience working with electronic mail and scheduling applications.
• Intermediate knowledge of MS Office (Word, PowerPoint and Excel).
• Experience working with various computer applications (i.e. WordPress) to maintain websites is required.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills to elicit and interpret information from a variety of sources.
• Strong financial administration skills (including planning and monitoring budgets, and preparing financial forms).
• Demonstrated ability to organize events with a wide array of constituent groups.
• Ability to work as a member of an inter-disciplinary team and independently to identify and accomplish project(s) objectives.
• Flexibility and adaptability.
• Self-directed with demonstrated initiative.
• Minute taking skills.
• Ability to produce clear and concise documentation and reports.
• Excellent organizational skills, including ability to multi-task, set priorities and meet tight deadlines. • High level of accuracy and excellent attention to detail.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Please submit your Cover Letter and Resume to Emma Yuen (email@example.com) by Friday, February 3rd, 2017.